My research includes work on public leadership, organisational change in the public sector and community empowerment. I have published in a wide variety of peer-reviewed academic journals and edited academic books. I have extensive consultancy and research experience and have successfully supervised five doctoral students to completion.
From 2017-2021 I served as Chair of the JUC Public Administration Committee. For more on this see here: https://iancelliott.wordpress.com/2017/01/10/the-future-of-public-administration/. I am subject expert for Public Services and Healthcare in the Chartered Association of Business Schools (CABS) Scientific Committee for the Journal Quality Guide. I am also Chair of the PAC and Vice Chair of the Joint University Council for Applied Social Sciences. I sit on the Editorial Advisory Boards of Teaching Public Administration, Public Policy and Administration and Public Administration: An International Quarterly.
Research profile – key achievements
- Published over 20 peer-reviewed publications including over 10 peer-reviewed journal articles, four book chapters and presented over 30 conference papers.
- Co-editor of Edward Elgar International Handbook on Teaching Public Administration (due 2021)
- Co-Convenor of Permanent Study Group for the IIAS European Group for Public Administration (EGPA)
- Member of editorial board of Public Policy and Administration, Public Administration: An International Quarterly and Teaching Public Administration
- Conference Chair of the PAC Annual Conference 2019 bringing together over 80 public administration academics and practitioners from 12 countries to Northumbria University.